Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Organic Confusion

Since I've become more organically-minded, I've been avoiding the "big brands" in favor of organic brands I hadn't heard of before, thinking I was supporting new organic suppliers. Annie's Naturals! Newman's Own Organics! Yay!

But it turns out that some of my grocery money is going into the same old pockets: Hershey owns Dagoba Chocolates... General Mills owns Cascadian Farms and Muir Glen... and Kraft Foods owns Back to Nature and Boca. Aaaargh!

But I guess the news isn't all bad. The big brands are really changing, and beginning to market organic products under their main brand names: Post Organic cereals are on the shelves in both boutique groceries and supermarkets, Kraft Organic Mac-n-Cheese is guaranteed to be a kid favorite (tho I've only seen it on amazon.com Grocery so far), and Hershey's Organic Dark Chocolate is already a fixture on my grocery list.

If we support the big brands' organic labels, perhaps in time, they will become the rule rather than the segregated & overpriced exception in our local grocery stores.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home